Despite being rendered deaf and blind at 18 months, Helen
The words of Mahatma Ghandi have been celebrated for decades. The pillar of peace had wise things to say to anyone who would listen in the years he worked hard for India’s independence from Great Britain. Here are 17 inspiring quotes from the noted pacifist.
1. Happiness is when what you say, what you think, and what you do are in harmony.
2. You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
3. Power is of two kinds. One is obtained by the fear of punishment and the other by acts of love. Power based on love is a thousand times more effective and permanent then the one derived from fear of punishment.
4. First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.
5. A man who was completely innocent, offered himself as a sacrifice for the good of others, including his enemies, and became the ransom of the world. It was a perfect act.
6. Non-violence is the greatest force at the disposal of mankind. It is mightier than the mightiest weapon of destruction devised by the ingenuity of man.
7. I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent.
8. You can chain me, you can torture me, you can even destroy this body, but you will never imprison my mind.
9. There is a higher court than courts of justice and that is the court of conscience. It supercedes all other courts.
10. Man becomes great exactly in the degree in which he works for the welfare of his fellow-men.
11. There is nothing that wastes the body like worry, and one who has any faith in God should be ashamed to worry about anything whatsoever.
12. The main purpose of life is to live rightly, think rightly, act rightly. The soul must languish when we give all our thought to the body.
13. I do not want to foresee the future. I am concerned with taking care of the present. God has given me no control over the moment following.
14. It is easy enough to be friendly to one’s friends. But to befriend the one who regards himself as your enemy is the quintessence of true religion. The other is mere business.
15. Man’s nature is not essentially evil. Brute nature has been known to yield to the influence of love. You must never despair of human nature.
16. Truth never damages a cause that is just.
17. An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind.