1) The Beginning: John Lennon formed the group in 1957
One of the flagship hip hop groups, the Wu-Tang Clan holds a special place in popular consciousness. There’s a lot to know about the group after a career that’s lasted over 20 years. Here’s what you need to know about them.
1. The debut album of the Wu-Tang Clan, Protect Ya Neck, was completed in merely $300 of studio time, which they paid in quarters.
2. After their first single dropped, many record labels offered them deals, but they only accepted one that let each member record solo albums with other labels.
3. Ol’ Dirty Bastard tried to change his name to Big Baby Jesus, but it never caught on.
4. RZA, GZA, and ODB are actually cousins.
5. Although many people have been included on tracks by Wu-Tang Clan, there are only 9 official members: RZA, Ghostface Killa, Masta Killa, Inspectah Deck, GZA, Method Man, U-God, Raekwon, and Ol’ Dirty Bastard.
6. RZA not only handles most of the production for the Clan, he also did the soundtrack for Kill Bill and is good friends with Quentin Tarantino.
7. Ol’ Dirty Bastard has a full 15-20 stage names, including Freeloading Rusty, Joe Bananas, and Dirt McGirt.
8. In 2014, the Clan released an album called The Wu: Once Upon a Time in Shaolin. There was a single copy made of the album, which was 31 songs long and sold as an art piece.
9. During the recording of their first album, the group was so poor that they often had to shoplift in order to eat.