Candy is a simple pleasure enjoyed by almost everyone. No
Diet soda is more popular than ever with the rise of obesity and the huge number of calories in soda. But what are the real facts about diet sodas? Read on for the wacky, the terrifying, and the surprising.
1. If you’re looking to get a boost from your soda, diet might be the way to go. Diet Coke has about twice as much caffeine as regular, and the higher caffeine content holds for diet sodas across the board.
2. Unfortunately, most people choose diet sodas for weight loss purposes. But it turns out that diet sodas don’t actually help you lose weight. The low-calorie sweeteners may affect your gut bacteria in such a way that you end up with the same weight effects as you would drinking regular soda.
3. Another downer is that diet sodas have been linked to depression, kidney problems, and reproductive problems.
4. If you’re looking to be a cheap date, diet sodas might be the right way to go. One study found that cocktails with diet sodas made participants 18% drunker. They believe it’s because the body reacts to the sugars in regular soda as food and slows down on absorbing the alcohol.
5. One of the more terrifying ingredients in diet soda is mold inhibitors. They’re in most diet sodas, but few regular ones. The problem is that they can cause damage to DNA, and even completely inactivate some strands. It’s been linked to hives, asthma, and allergies.
6. Despite the rise of diet sodas and the drop in soda consumption, soda is still the #1 source of calories in the American diet.
7. In 2010, Diet Coke sales outstripped sales of regular Pepsi. This is despite the fact that regular sodas overall perform better than diets.
8. If you throw Coke and Diet Coke into water, the Coke will sink but the Diet will float. Normal sugar is denser than the sweeteners in diet.
9. Diet Coke and Coke Zero are almost identical except for the sweeteners used. Amazingly, Diet has more calories: 1 per 100 milliliters, while Zero has only .5. While Diet is marketed towards women, Zero is aimed towards men.
10. In most of Europe and South America, Diet Coke is called Coca-Cola Light.