Sometimes pop culture fandom gets so intense and heavy that
John Travolta has had one of the longest and most varied careers in Hollywood, giving him tons of stories and tidbits for fans to learn. Check out the wild world of John Travolta.
1. When Travolta was filming The Boy in the Plastic Bubble, he fell in love with Diana Hyland even though she was 18 years older than he was. Sadly the relationship was incredibly short lived as she died of breast cancer just a year later.
2. In another moment of tragedy, Travolta’s son Jett died when he was just 16 while the family was on vacation in the Bahamas.
3. There have been 4 extremely popular films that Travolta turned down which were then picked up by Richard Gere: Days of Heaven, American Gigolo, An Officer and a Gentleman, and Chicago.
4. Travolta and Kelly Preston have been married since 1991, but their first wedding was declared illegal because it was performed by a French Scientologist minister.
5. Before Saturday Night Fever John Travolta spent a full nine months in dance lessons, and he even managed to get lessons from Fred Kelly, the brother of legend Gene Kelly.
6. Travolta loves planes and is a certified pilot. He even owns five aircrafts and has a landing strip at his house in Florida.
7. He was a high school drop out. He left school at 16 to pursue acting.
8. Travolta isn’t the only one in his family who acts. His mother and one sister both had roles as extras in Saturday Night Fever.
9. Travolta is a spokesperson for Qantas Airways and he originally wanted to name his daughter Qantas. His wife nixed that, and now we have Ella Travolta.
10. In addition to acting and dancing Travolta is a published author.
11. Although he converted to Scientology and has been a prominent member of the religion, he was actually raised Roman Catholic.
12. Most well known as a movie star, Travolta actually is also a singer. He hit number 10 on the Billboard chart in 1976 with Let Her In.
13. One odd duet happened in 2009 for the Bolt soundtrack. Travolta teamed up with Miley Cyrus.
14. During a dinner at the White House he met Princess Diana and the two shared a dance.