Some people are so competitive in nature that they’ll test
Alcohol has been a part of human life for thousands of years, and for many people it makes that life much better. But do we really know that much about our booze? Here are the real facts about alcohol.
1. When you’re toasting, or wishing good health, you’re continuing a practice that started in ancient Rome where a piece of toast was dropped into wine.
2. There are many odd laws related to alcohol in the United States. If you pick up alcohol and a friend reimburses you, it’s technically a crime. In Texas, it is illegal to take more than three sips of beer at a time while standing. And in Missouri, anyone under 21 who takes out the trash containing even one empty alcohol contained could be charged with underage possession of alcohol.
3. In early Church doctrine, alcohol was considered a good gift of God. Abstaining was ok, but despising alcohol was a heresy.
4. In a huge reversal of doctrine, during Prohibition the Bible was rewritten to take out all references to alcohol.
5. Many people might disagree, but the technical standard size of a drink is anything that contains 14 grams of pure alcohol, which translates to about a single 12 ounce beer, a 4-5 ounce glass of wine, and a 1.5 ounce of 80-proof liquor.
6. In one vineyard in France, the soil is considered valuable enough that workers are required to scrape the dirt off their shoes before they go home.
7. Counterintuitively, alcohol actually lowers the body temperature.
8. Be careful when opening that champagne bottle: it has a pressure of 90 lbs/square inch, which is 3 times more than most car tires.
9. Unsurprisingly, the oldest known recipe in the world is for beer.
10. The highest minimum drinking age in the world is found in the United States.
11. Due to the lower drinking age, it’s not uncommon for high school cafeterias in Europe to serve alcohol.
12. All spirits (not beer and wine) start out colorless and achieve color through aging.
13. Bourbon is the official spirit of the U.S.
14. All 13 minerals that are essential for human life can be found in alcohol.