Everyone knows that the king had some amazing hips and
Rap has become one of the most popular and ubiquitous forms of music today, but it started out without any of the prestige of today. Check out these facts about the history of rap.
1. Rap was made possible thanks to Grandmaster Flash, who invented the DJ mixer and the cross fader, which allowed rap to truly come into being. He also wrote and performed the first rap, primarily as a way to egg on the dancers he was DJing for.
2. Many people think that Rapper’s Delight by the Sugarhill Gang was the first rap album, but it was beat out by King Tim III from The Fatback Band, which came out just a few months earlier.
3. Before sampling existed, rappers would have actual bands recreate the song elements that they wanted to use in their raps.
4. The first all-female rap group was called The Mercedes Ladies.
5. Eminem is a huge figure in rap today, but when his first album, Infinite, came out in 1996 it only sold 1000 copies.
6. N.W.A.’s Straight Outta Compton was an opus to violence, but when it came out Eazy-E was the only member of the group who had a criminal record.
7. Today, Queen Latifah has huge mainstream success, but she started out beatboxing with a female rap group called Ladies Fresh.
8. The inventor of scratching is Grandwizard Theodore.
9. Clive “Kool Herc” Campbell is credited as the first hip-hop DJ in the world.
10. Thanks to a cameo on Soul Train, Kurtis Blow was the first rapper on national TV.
11. Before he was a rapper, Tupac started his career as a roadie and a dancer with Digital Underground.
12. Through the 90s and early 2000s Sean Combs went through stage names like it was going out of style. His choices included Puff Daddy, Puffy, P. Diddy, and Diddy.
13. Ice-T was the originally rapper of 99 Problems, from his 1993 album Home Invasions. Jay-Z made it famous.
14. Will Smith was the first rapper with his own TV show.
15. The only female rapper to win a full five Grammys is Lauryn Hill.