Before fame as a lawyer and politician, Lincoln’s reputation was
After his stunning performance in The Theory of Everything, Eddie Redmayne was announced as the titular character of the film adaptation of “The Danish Girl”. If you’re like me, you have little to know idea what or who this book is about. The story follows Lili Elbe, who was born a male and became one of the first documented cases of sex reassignment surgery.
- Lili was born in Denmark under the name of Einar Mogens Wegener
- As Einar Wegener, Elbe made quite a name for herself as a great painter
- In 1904, Einar Wegener married Gerda Gottlieb at the age of 22. They worked together as illustrators until moving to Paris in 1912.
- In Paris, Einar Wegener could live as Lili Elbe freely and Gottlieb could live comfortably as a lesbian.
- Lili Elbe first dressed in women’s clothing when she stood in as a model for Gottlieb. Elbe would become the main inspiration for most of Gottlieb’s work.
- Elbe decided to quit painting because she felt it was a part of her old life.
- In 2 years, Elbe would have 5 surgeries to transition from male to female. The surgeries quickly became public knowledge, which lead the King of Denmark to invalidate Elbe and Gottlieb’s marriage.
- After the marriage, the two went their separate ways, and soon Elbe was offered and engagement from a man. She wanted to wait to accept until she could become a mother.
- The 5th and final surgery was a transplanting of a uterus, which would allow Elbe to become a mother. Tragically, Elbe’s body rejected the uterus and she died of complications.