It took five years for the cast and crew to
When Oscar season ramped up last fall, Michael Keaton seemed to be head and shoulders above the competition for Best Actor for his work in Birdman. However, a challenger has emerged in recent months, and he is relatively unknown – Eddie Redmayne. Playing Stephen Hawking in The Theory of Everything, Redmayne took home the Golden Globe for Best Actor in a Drama (Keaton won for Comedy or Musical), and subsequently nabbed the Screen Actor’s Guild award from Keaton.
Redmayne might just win this thing on February 22.
So who is Eddie Redmayne? Here is some trivia and quotes from the British actor…
– He turned 33 on January 6 this year.
– Redmayne resides in London and just recently married Hannah Bagshawe in December of 2014.
– He was named Outstanding Newcomer at the London Evening Standard Awards 2004 and the London Critic’s Circle Theatre Awards 2005 for his performance in Edward Albee’s “The Goat or Who is Sylvia”, with Jonathan Pryce at the Almeida Theatre, Islington.
– He does not come from an acting family. His father Richard is a managing director at a bank, his mother Patricia worked at a relocation-office.
– Redmayne is good friends with another Best Actor nominee this year, Benedict Cumberbatch (The Imitation Game). Both have played Stephen Hawking in biopics, Cumberbatch in Hawking (2004) and Redmayne in The Theory of Everything.
“When I started acting professionally, it was always theater. I’m so ignorant about films, but I’m getting slightly better – after having been chastised by many co-actors. While we were shooting The Other Boleyn Girl, Scarlett Johansson compiled a whole list of the films I should watch.
ON BECOMING FAMOUS: “On a plane I fell asleep, and when I woke up the man next to me asked, ‘Excuse me, are you somebody important?’ I must have looked confused. He explained: ‘ I’m asking because the stewardesses came over and were watching you sleep.'”
“I’m just one gigantic ball of rancid fear and self-consciousness. I’m entirely fueled by fear, so the fact that I knew it could be a catastrophic disaster made me unable to sleep, and made me work quite hard.”
“Stephen Hawking is just effortlessly cool. He has this kind of shambolic confidence to him. I describe it as a “Lord of Misrule” quality – he’s got a great sense of mischief.”
Aside from The Theory of Everything, Redmayne can be seen in this week’s Jupiter Ascending. Previous films include Les Miserables, My Week With Marilyn, The Other Boleyn Girl, and The Good Shepherd.
Currently, he is filming Tom Hooper’s The Danish Girl, co-starring Amber Heard.