Physical affection is such a powerful tool that, regardless of whether
Sometimes animals you see every day and regard as ordinary actually do truly amazing things. Fearsome insist unexpectedly cool facts about pigeons.
- They nurse their young: pigeons are one of the few bird species that actually feed their babies milk-like liquid that they produced from the inside of their throats. In addition, both male and female pigeons can nurse their young.
- The word pigeon is French for dove.
- They are really fast: most breeds of pigeon can fly between 50 to 60 miles per hour. Specifically bred racing pigeons can clock speeds over 90 miles an hour.
- There’s a lot of different breeds: there are over 500 breeds of domesticated pigeons.
- They can fly very far: a homing pigeon can fly over 700 miles in one day.
- They have amazing hearing: they can hear sounds that are 11 octaves below medium which helps them to detect both earthquakes and electrical storms.
- They can stay at an elevated heart rate for a long length of time: pigeons can maintain a heart rate of 600 beats per minute for up to 16 hours.
- Special breeds can sell for a lot of money: the highest price paid for a homing pigeon was 225,000 dollars. The highest price for a racing pigeon was $328,000.
- They are war heroes: in both world wars, US pilots would bring along homing pigeons that they would release in the event of a crash. Many pilots owe their lives to their pigeons.
- Some militaries still use them: pigeons are still used by the Chinese, Iraqi, Swiss, and French armed services.
- Pigeon racing is kind of like a big deal: the top pigeon race in the US the Snowbird Classic Awards a purse of $600,000.