The glamorous Joan Crawford would have turned 110 this week.
Woody Allen has been one of the most popular directors in Hollywood for years, and not only have his movies garnered serious interest, but so has his personal life. Check out these facts about Woody Allen.
1. When he was 17 he legally changed his name to Heywood Allen. He was born Allan Stewart Konigsberg.
2. Over the course of his lifetime he has been nominated for Oscars 24 times and won 4 times. He is the most nominated screenwriter in history.
3. Allen doesn’t just direct, he also acts in many of his movies: a full 32 in fact.
4. He claims never to watch his own movies after they’re released.
5. When he was 15, Allen started making money by selling one liners to gossip columns.
6. Not only does he write, direct, and act, but Allen is also a jazz clarinetist who plays regularly at small venues. He got his chosen name from the clarinetist Woody Herman.
7. Allen is famously Jewish and he speaks Hebrew and Yiddish.
8. When he was 19 he married a 16 year old. 5 years later they divorced and she sued him for defamation because he had been mocking her on TV.
9. Famously, Allen married Mia Farrow but separated from her after she found nude photos he had taken of their adopted daughter Soon-Yi Farrow Previn. Allen and Pevin have been married since, despite a 34 year age gap.
10. By the time he was 17 he was already writing TV scripts.
11. Allen didn’t film any of his movies outside of NYC until 2005 with Match Point.
12. In 1993, Dylan Farrow (Mia’s daughter) accused Allen of abusing her in addition to starting a relationship with Soon-Yi.