Zack Snyder’s Man of Steel was yet another attempt to
Jared Leto shall soon grace the big screen as the third actor to portray a live-action version of The Joker in Suicide Squad. His version of this iconic supervillain is said (by director David Ayer) to be “majestic.” Leto has shown many sides of himself over the years. Let’s get down to some facts.
1. Jared’s first big role: Jared first sprang to heartthrob fame as the slow-witted but charismatic Jordan Catalano in 1994’s My So-Called Life television show. The program was short-lived but put Leto on the map due to his excellent leaning-against-lockers skills.
2. Jared thinks of himself as huge geek. He absolutely adores anything to with science, and he’s particularly fascinated with anything to do with space travel. He used to sell signed rocket toys under the name Bartholomew Cubbins (his director pseudonym). Here’s a photo of Jared visiting NASA’s Cape Canaveral.
3. Jared occasionally flirts with journalists: During a conversation with Vulture, he stopped the interview in its tracks. He turned to his manager and said, “She has the most beautiful eyes. It’s almost impossible to pay attention to what she’s saying. I mean, it’s ridiculous. Seriously. They’re, like, golden.”
4. Jared is a method actor: When he played a heroin addict in 2000’s Requiem for a Dream, he lived on the street to prepare himself for the role. He also gave up sex with then-fiancée Cameron Diaz to deny himself any pleasure. While he played a transgender AIDS patient in Dallas Buyers Club, Leto only spoke to people as his character, Rayon.
5. Jared follows a strict vegan diet: For ethical reasons, Jared doesn’t believe in eating or wearing any animal products. He only wears vegan leather products for his onstage shows and even whips up vegan pancakes. In 2014, PETA crowned him as the Sexiest Male Vegetarian Alive.
6. Jared took a long acting hiatus : Jared didn’t appear in any films between 2009’s Mr. Nobody and 2013’s Dallas Buyers Club in 2013. He said the protracted break made him a better actor: “I think I needed to go away in order to have something to say again.”
7. He’s also a real-life rockstar: Jared’s hiatus provided him with time to concentrate upon his musical career. As the lead singer (and guitarist) of 30 Seconds to Mars, Leto and his bandmates (including brother Shannon Leto) have enjoyed the success of three certified platinum (and one silver) albums. He suffered a broken nose when fans accidentally trampled him at a concert.
8. Jared’s a big supporter of startup companies: His work ethic and support of tech companies occupy much of his time, and Jared is always working. He admitted to Fast Company, “Whatever you do, you have to have deep interest and desire and passion, or you shouldn’t be doing it. My work is never a job. My work is my life. If you work your f***ing ass off, you can get a lot done.”
9: Jared often loses and gains weight for roles: He packed on over 60 pounds to play John Lennon’s killer, Mark David Chapman, in Chapter 27. He later shed the weight with the all-liquid Master Cleanse diet (and lost 20 pounds in 10 days). Jared lost 30 pounds from his normal frame for Dallas Buyers Club.
10. Jared does grow sheepish at times: Yeah, he’s an Academy Award winning actor, but he’s at least a little bit humble. He says his worst job was dishwashing at age 12. His “most embarrassing moment” involved “karaoke and Eye Of The Tiger.”