Cary Grant redefined the idea of a movie star during
There have been some incredible celebrity items sold on eBay: Audrey Hepburn’s iconic Breakfast at Tiffany’s dress, John Lennon’s piano, even a lost Charlie Chaplin film was auctioned online. But not every item sold is a cinematic treasure. Here are 9 items that are more perplexing (and sometimes disgusting) than exciting.
1. Bags of Kanye’s possible exhalations. More than 20 ziplock bags filled from the front row of Kanye West’s Yeezus tour (therefore presumably containing the rapper’s breath) were put on eBay this weekend. Some have sold for a few hundred dollars, though one inexplicably passed $60,000.
2. Brangelina’s breath. Kanye’s not the only one who can sell air on eBay. During the premiere of Mr. and Mrs. Smith, an enterprising (and definitely not at all creepy) entrepreneur captured a jarful of air as Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie walked by.
3. Britney Spears’ used chewing gum. Back in 2004, a number of Spears’ used gum wads were being sold online, some for as little as $20 – $50, but one reached a price of $14,000 after the seller joined in the bidding to drive up his own price. This really just makes you wonder where Spears was leaving her gum, doesn’t it?
4. Scarlett Johansson’s snot. In 2008, during an appearance on the Tonight Show, Johansson told Jay Leno she had a cold, and after blowing her nose, she placed the tissue in a plastic bag and sold it on eBay for $5,300. The money went to charity and the tissue was hopefully never removed from the bag.
5. J.D. Salinger’s toilet. In 2010, an “uncleaned” toilet from Salinger’s New Hampshire home was put on eBay for $1,000,000. Though the toilet is dated 1962, after the author’s most famous works had been published, the auction listing mentions Salinger’s unpublished manuscripts, teasing “Who knows how many of these stories were thought up and written while Salinger sat on this throne!”
6. Justin Timberlake’s breakfast foods. Back in 2000, when Timberlake was still just an *NSYNC heartthrob, a radio station auctioned off some french toast he left behind after an interview. A teenaged fan ended up paying more than a thousand dollars for Timberlake’s leftovers.
7. Jack Nicholson’s teeth. This one wasn’t actually sold on eBay, but was weird enough that it needed to be included. A mix of Nicholson’s baby teeth and adult molars was sold in a private auction in 2001, and while the final price is unknown, bids were said to have surpassed $5,000.
8. James Blunt’s sister. The singer James Blunt has owned up to having an eBay addiction before he hit it big, selling basically everything he owned. When he ran out of possessions, he turned to auctioning off family members. His sister was stranded in Ireland, trying to get to a funeral, when Blunt put a listing up for a “damsel in distress.” As strange as that may be, it actually worked out incredibly well. Not only did a man “buy” James’ sister Emily, using his private helicopter to get her to the funeral, but the two ended up getting married.
9. Gary Coleman’s sweatpants. A pair of Coleman’s Gap Kids sweats caught the attention of Jimmy Kimmel back in 2008. Kimmel lost the auction to an outrageous bid of $400,000, but, unsurprisingly, that amount was never paid. With the next highest bid, Kimmel ended up getting the pants for $500.