Film Noir is a genre that arrived shortly after World
The 1960s were littered with happy go lucky, family-friendly sitcoms and for most of us we really only know the characters instead of their actual lives. As a kid growing up in the 90s, I watched hours of old black and white (and color) episodes of classic TV. I can probably still sing every theme come to think of it. One of my favorites was Bewitched, especially any episode featuring Elizabeth Montgomery’s TV mother Endora. But what I didn’t know was how progressive and interesting Elizabeth Montgomery was in real life. Did you know these Bewitching facts…
- She was the daughter of famous actor and director, Robert Montgomery. She began acting in the 50s first by appearing in several episodes of his show Robert Montgomery Presents.
- Montgomery was nominated 5 times for the Primetime Emmy Awards and 4 times for Golden Globes, she didn’t win any of them
- Though she was married 4 times her most notable relationships were with her second husband and fellow actor, Gig Young and third husband William Asher. Young would later murder his fourth wife before killing himself. Asher produced and directed Bewitched along with I Love Lucy, The Dukes of Hazard and many others.
- After Bewitched Montgomery did a string of Japanese commercials from 1980 to 1983 which paid her handsomely enough to stay out of the Hollywood limelight
- Elizabeth and Lizzie Borden were sixth cousins once removed, she would later go on to portray Lizzie Borden in the 1975 movie version called The Legend of Lizzie Borden
- Politically, Montgomery was very outspoken and progressive. She was actively against the Vietnam war during her career in Bewitched and continued her political activism until her death. She would later go on to narrate to political documentaries, Coverup: Behind the Iran Contra Affair (1988) and The Panama Deception which won the Acadmey Award for best documentary in 1992.
- In 1992, she and Bewitched co-star Dick Sargent were made Grand Marshals of the Los Angelas Gay Pride Parade
- She died of colorectal cancer in 1995, 8 weeks after being diagnosed