Since its first publication in 1957, Dr. Seuss’ “How The
Norman Reedus recently ended another wild season on The Walking Dead. This role ranks amongst his most well-received Hollywood turns, but Norman’s been kicking around television and movies for quite some time. Here are some facts about the crossbow-wielding actor:
1. He models as much as he acts: Reedus isn’t classically handsome, but his well-worn looks wear clothing well. He’s appeared in campaigns for Levis’ Prada, Alessandr Dell’Acqua, Lexis, and Morgenthal Fredrics.
2. He’s accustomed to a rabid fandom: Before TWD, Reedus was well known for the role of fraternal twin Murphy MacManus in The Boondock Saints (1999). He reprised his role in The Boondock Saints II: All Saints Day (2009). Both movies have received a cult following.
3. He’s terrible in the kitchen: Reedus spoke with Us Weekly about how he can only cook on a George Foreman grill. He did purchase his first microwave this year, but he has no idea how or why he’d ever use it.
4. He rejected a major film opportunity with George Clooney in 2013: Reedus told Rolling Stone, “It came down to a point of, ‘Would I cut my hair really short for this role?’ I’m on a show. I can’t cut all my hair off out of nowhere. This is my full-time job so I’m not going to do anything to jeopardize that.”
5. His discovery was weird: Legend has it that Reedus was first discovered at an LA party when he donned giant sunglasses and commenced screaming. An acting scout then asked if he wanted to star in a play.
6. He’s an internet addict: Reedus admitted to Under The Radar magazine that he’d “rather fart popcorn” than have his “past and future web browsing history available to everyone.”
7. He has a titanium eye socket: Reedus suffered a car accident in 2005 after his driver swerved into oncoming traffic. Because Reedus wasn’t wearing a seatbelt, he flew through the windshield and had to undergo surgery on the left side of his face.
8. He has a son with Helena Christensen: Reedus and the supermodel enjoyed a five-year relationship from 1998-2003. Their son, Mingus, was born in 1999. The two share custody of the boy, who splits his NYC life with both parents. Norman has a “Mingus” tattoo on his right forearm.
9. His previous jobs: Reedus worked as a mechanic in a Harley Davidson shop in Venice, California. He also dabbled as a sculptor, painter, and photographer and still has works on display in New York, Frankfurt, and Berlin.
10. He’s appeared in many music videos: “Judas” by Lady Gaga, “Cats In The Cradle” by Ugly Kid Joe, “Strange Currencies” by R.E.M., “Violently Happy” by Björk, “Wicked as It Seems” by Keith Richards, “Flat Top” by Goo Goo Dolls, and “Fake Plastic Trees” by Radiohead.