Ice cream, as we all know, is the reason for
Papa John’s Pizza is one of America’s favorite pizzas, while fast food chains like Pizza Hut and Domino’s are at the top of heap. Papa John’s still knows how to make a good pie, so here are 11 fun facts you didn’t know about Papa John’s.
1. Broom Closet. The first Papa John’s Pizza was in a broom closet of Mick’s Lounge in Jeffersonville, Indiana in 1983.
2. Dipping Sauces. The pizza company has 8 dipping sauces you can ask to go with your pizza for free, which include Barbeque, Ranch, Buffalo Hot, Cheese, Special Garlic, Honey Mustard, Pizza, and Blue Cheese.
3. Peyton Manning. The NFL quarterback is a spokesman for Papa John’s, but he also owns 21 locations in the Denver area.
4. Vegan. Their pizza without cheese is 100% vegan.
5. Iggy Azalea. Her favorite pizza is from Papa John’s, but she was angry with the company when one of their drivers leaked out her private phone number.
6. Camaro. Papa John’s founder John Schnatter sold his beloved 1971 Z28 Camaro for $1,600 to buy pizza making equipment to start his first store. He was reunited with his Camaro in 2009 when he re-aquired it for $250,000.
7. Boy Scouts of America. Papa John’s donates their money to the Boy Scouts of America and Junior Achievement.
8. 4,600 Locations. Papa John’s has over 4,600 locations in over 34 countries from around the world with about 3,200 of those in the United States.
9. 23 Cents. In the 2008 NBA Playoffs, Papa John’s offered Cleveland residents one large one-topping pizza for 23 cents, after they made LeBron James “crybaby” t-shirts for the Washington Wizards. There were reports of two-hour waits, but thousand and thousands of Cavs fans were served.
10. University of Louisville. The university’s football stadium is called Papa John’s Cardinal Stadium.
11. NFL. Papa John’s is the official pizza of the NFL.