The most famous pirates stick in everyone’s mind: Blackbeard, Long
Forget about vampires, werewolves, and mermaids. Those are the myths we all know, the overdone, kinda boring ones. It’s time for some new myths, the weird creatures that you have never heard of.
1. A crocotta or leucrotta is a type of dog from classic mythology that supposedly lives in India and spends it life looking for people to eat. Supposedly it can make human noises which will attract people close enough for it to eat them. If you can fight it, make sure you rip out its crystal eyes and put them under your tongue so you can tell the future.
2. Another semi-terrifying creature from classical myth is the centicore, a deer-like animal that can move his horns in any direction he chooses.
3. Most cows aren’t too dangerous, but the catoblepas is one you’d like to shy away from. A mythical cow that lives on the banks of rivers, it can kill you both with its breath and its stare.
4. Ao Aos are from Guarani myth. They look like a sheep, but they’re fanged, dangerous, and will eat you. The only way to get away is to run around a sacred tree, which will disorient the beast and make it stop chasing you.
5. From India, we have the Roc, a mythical bird large enough to carry away an entire elephant. Of course that makes it incredibly dangerous to the smaller among us.
6. If you ever wanted to interact with an animal that could be mistaken for an island, then the aspidochelone is your guy. This is a giant turtle whose back can grow an actual island, but if you land there it might just swim underwater and drown you.
7. Ghosts are common throughout many cultures, but one you want to watch out for especially is the jikininki, the ghost of an incredibly selfish person that turns into a corpse-eater. They look like decomposing humans, except that they have claws, and if you happen to see one you’ll be stuck in a trance until it eats you.
8. Vampires might be overdone, but not the Manananggal, a special kind of vampire that can sever its own torso and that really wants to eat fetus hearts by sticking its long tongue into a pregnant woman. It can only be defeated by throwing salt on the lower half of its body, which stays behind while the upper half is after fetuses.