Leaving behind the dark tone of Temple of Doom, Indiana
Actors and directors often find a comfort zone with one another, creating brilliant films along the way. The chemistry auteurs and thespians make films work, and work well more often than not. Every once in a while, however, these collaborations might run a little thin.
Here are 6 of the more prolific and celebrated actor/director collaborations…
6. Tim Burton and Johnny Depp (8 Films) – While Burton and Depp may have not always delivered the best films, their early collaborations are widely celebrated. With films like Edward Scissorhands and Ed Wood in the early days of their teaming up, any slip-ups they may have had since then, can certainly be overlooked.
5. John Huston and Humphrey Bogart (6 Films) – Huston and Bogart may be lower on the list of number of films, but this power duo created some of the best, most unforgettable noir and adventure films of the 20th century. Huston’s breakout film was The Maltese Falcon, starring Bogart. The duo also collaborated on The African Queen, Key Largo, and The Treasure of The Sierra Madre.
4. Billy Wilder and Jack Lemmon (7 Films) – Wilder directed his best films in a career of great movies with everyman Lemmon in the forefront. The comedy trifecta of Some Like it Hot, The Apartment, and The Fortune Cookie are widely regarded as the best actor/director collaborations in the comedy genre.
3. John Ford and John Wayne (21 Films) – John Ford and John Wayne collaborated on more films together than any other pair of actors and directors, and they created a number of legendary movies. Their highlights include The Searchers, Stagecoach, which was Wayne’s breakout role and The Quiet Man.
2. Akira Kurosawa and Toshiro Mifune (16 Films) – Kurosawa is widely regarded as one of the three or four finest directors in the history of cinema. Without Toshiro Mifune, however, his films and his career may not have flourished as strongly. Mifune was the star of Kurosawa’s most popular film, Seven Samurai, and also appeared in the samurai films Roshomon, Yojimbo, and Sanjuro.
1. Martin Scorsese and Robert De Niro (8 films) – De Niro and Scorsese are arguably the most famous pair of actor and director in America. They teamed up to create classics like Goodfellas, Taxi Driver, and Raging Bull, and developed a shorthand between each other over the years. Scorsese’s newest muse, Leonardo DiCaprio, appears to be picking up where De Niro left off.