Since the invention of the internet, movies have tried to
Ethan Hawke is one of my personal favorite actors. While he has never reached the upper level of stardom as an actor, his career has been sneaky good. And his numerous collaborations with Richard Linklater have produced some masterworks of cinema, from Boyhood to Before Midnight. The two-time Oscar nominee (Training Day, Boyhood) is a bit of a renaissance man. Here are 9 things to know about Hawke…
1. Not only is Hawke an actor, he is also a published author. His first novel, The Hottest State, was published in 1996 and purchased for $400,000.
2. He says that he is constantly mistaken for Mark McGrath from the band Sugar Ray so often that he signs autographs as “Mark McGrath” and, apparently, the same thing happens to Mark McGrath who, in turn, signs autographs as “Ethan Hawke” to fans.
3. Hawke says his favorite films are Reds and One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest.
4. He has appeared in two film adaptations of Shakespearean plays which were set in the present day: Hamlet (2000) and Cymbeline (2014).
5. He was in a production of Great Expectations at West Windsor Plainsboro High School, and in 1998 appeared in a film adaptation with Gwyneth Paltrow.
6. He was the original choice to play FBI Agent Will Graham in Red Dragon, but turned the role down to take time off from making movies. The role then went to Edward Norton.
7. He is the first cousin twice removed of famous author Tennessee Williams. Hawke’s great grandfather and Williams’ father were brothers.
8. In Before Sunset (which he also co-wrote with Julie Delpy and Richard Linklater), Hawke’s character Jesse is in a failing marriage with a woman he married because she had become pregnant. Soon after the film’s release, Hawke divorced his real-life wife Uma Thurman, whom he had married while she was pregnant with their first child.
9. He played Sam Shepard’s son in both Snow Falling on Cedars in 1999 and Hamlet in 2000.