1. Shrek. Yes, Mike Meyers’ ogre wasn’t dreamt up by
With Inherent Vice, director Paul Thomas Anderson’s seventh feature film in wide release this Friday, it felt like a good time to get to know the eclectic auteur a little more. Here are nine things about the man and his techniques you may not have known…
1. PTA is the son of Ernie Anderson, who was a local Cleveland, Ohio celebrity who hosted late night horror shows under the name “Ghoulardi.”
2. Anderson attended NYU’s film program but dropped out after two days and used his tuition reimbursement to direct Coffee and Cigarettes in 1993.
3. The director has had some famous women in his life. He used to date singer Fiona Apple and directed a music video of hers while the two were together. Currently, he is with SNL alum Maya Rudolph and they have four children together.
4. Directed 7 actors in Oscar-nominated performances: Burt Reynolds, Julianne Moore, Tom Cruise, Daniel Day-Lewis, Joaquin Phoenix, Philip Seymour Hoffman, and Amy Adams. Day-Lewis won the Best Actor Oscar for his performance in There Will Be Blood in 2007.
5. Tom Cruise was able to get him on the set of Stanley Kubrick’s Eyes Wide Shut, where he visited with Kubrick nearly all day.
6. Anderson shaves his head before beginning all of his films. Though he has hair in the Magnolia production diary, it is clearly growing out from recently being shaved.
7. He loves baseball and is a fan of the LA Dodgers and Boston Red Sox.
8. His favorite film of all time is Sidney Lumet’s Network.
9. He was hired as a standby director for A Prairie Home Companion in 2006 for insurance purposes, and in the event that ailing 80-year-old director Robert Altman was unable to finish shooting.