Although Google is one of the most successful Internet companies
While celebrities are successful in life, sometime they’re not the best at expanding their reach to the general public. Name recognition can only go so far and having a good business model is still very important. Here are 9 failed celebrity businesses.
- Flav’s Fried Chicken. In 2011, Flavor Flav opened a fried chicken restaurant to rival KFC. It was called Flav’s Fried Chicken, but only lasted for three months before it closed its doors forever. Apparently, the fast food restaurant was mismanaged.
- Shaq-Fu. During the 90s, Shaquille O’Neal tried his hand in acting, rapping, and video games outside of his successful professional career as a basketball player. While acting and rapping didn’t pan out for him, his video game Shaq-Fu is considered his worst offense. The game was buggy with terrible controls and is considered one of the worst video games of all-time.
- Kardashian Kard. In 2010, Kim, Kourtney, and Khloe Kardashian teamed up with Mastercard to deliver the Kardashian Kard to the general public. It was a pre-paid credit card marketed to teens and young adults. It failed after one month because of high excessive fees.
- Fashion Cafe. With the success of the Hard Rock Cafe, super models Naomi Campbell, Elle Macpherson, Claudia Schiffer, and Christy Turlington decided to get into the food service game with the Fashion Cafe in New York City in 1995. The restaurant never took off because people never showed up to eat there, the supermodels’ business partners were crooks, and the supermodels themselves fought about the restaurants operations. It closed in 1998 and never opened a second location, which was planned for London in 1996.
- Planet Hollywood. Much like the Fashion Cafe, famous movie stars Arnold Schwarzenegger, Sylvester Stallone, Bruce Willis, and Demi Moore launched a series of celebrity restaurants that focused on the movies in 1991. However, because of its high cost and bad food, people just stayed away altogether. While Planet Hollywood started off with more than 100 locations from around the world, there are less than 10 in operation today.
- Te Casan Vegan Shoes. Natalie Portman couldn’t find vegan shoes that were comfortable and fashionable, so she started her own footwear line of animal-friendly shoes. The problem was that no one bought the shoes, so the business failed in 2008.
- Nicky O Hotels. Nicky Hilton tried her hand in the hotel business, despite being part of the Hilton Hotel empire. She launched Nicky O Hotels in 2006 with two locations in Miami and Chicago, but the hotels never took off. Her business partners later sued her for breach of contract.
- Braselton, GA. During the late ’80s, Kim Basinger invested $20 million into Braselton, a small town in Georgia. She hoped to transform it into a film festival location and tourist hub, but after she backed out of a film, she was forced to pay $8 million to get out of the deal and for breach of contract in 1993. Kim Basinger also had to give up on her investment of the small town and the would-be tourist destination altogether.
- XFL. Vince McMahon started his own profession football league to rival the NFL in the year 2000. It never took off with football fans or the general public because the quality was subpar compared to the NFL and college football. It was more brutal, hard hitting, and extreme than the NFL, but that still didn’t bring in crowds. It lasted for only one season.