On May 20, 2015, David Letterman ended his time hosting
Albert Einstein is, without question, one of the most brilliant and important people of the 20th century. His contributions to science and mathematics are well-documented and crucial to contemporary worldviews. Aside from his scientific discoveries, the German theoretical physicist and Nobel Prize winner would rise above a his peers into popular culture as Time Magazine‘s Person of the Century. To make a long story short, this is the kind of guy we should take advice from, and here it is – 9 quotes from Albert Einstein that we should all live by.
9. “The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination.”
You should never allow the desire to know everything interfere with your own thoughts and ideas. We would never ponder new theories and discover new worlds by only researching other people’s work.
8. “Insanity, doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.”
This famous quote is as meaningful as ever. We must learn from history as well as from our mistakes. Because, as a species, we are able to recognize problems and prevent them, and if we don’t we fail.
7. “Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better.”
The natural world makes up everything from our world to our bodies, and only by understanding that world will we understand ourselves and our place in the world.
6. “Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile.”
Selflessness and community is essential to a worthwhile life. If we only live for ourselves then we are not fully living.
5. “Logic will get from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
A purely logical thinker will never do more than see life as a series of reachable goals. While a thinker who allows for imagination will be limitless.
4. “The only thing that interferes with my learning is education.”
Formal education, while important in teaching us how to learn, can impede our abilities to create with imagination.
3. “Once we accept our limits we go beyond them.”
This one is pretty self-explanatory, but, quite simply, see your challenges as limitations and defeat them.
2. “Any man who reads too much and uses his brain too little falls into lazy habits of thinking.”
Make time for your own thoughts and creativity. If you don’t you will become complacent in your acceptance of other people’s ideas.
1. “Peace cannot be kept by force; it can only be achieved by understanding.”
We try to solve conflict with war when it takes understanding one another to find peace.
Why should we live by these quotes? Because if Einstein didn’t, we would live in a much lesser world.