There are some songs we all know the stories behind.
Sometimes the Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festivals pays large sums of money to band that have broken up to reunite for one show. Here are 9 bands that reunited for Coachella.
- The Postal Service. The Postal Service were never officially a band, but they stopped making music together in 2005, after four years as a duo. In 2013, they got back together for Coachella.
- The Pixies. The very influential indie rock band The Pixies broke up in 1993, but reunited for Coachella in 2004. The Pixies have been together playing music ever since, but Kim Deal left the band in 2013.
- At the Drive-In. At the height of their success in 2001, At the Drive-In broke up to form two bands The Mars Volta and Sparta. The post-punk band reunited briefly in 2012 for Coachella, but broke up again soon after their performance.
- Siouxsie and the Banshees. They broke up in 1996, but got back together again for Coachella in 2002. Siouxsie and the Banshees are still together today making new music.
- Rage Against The Machine. The rap/metal band broke up in the year 2000 after George W. Bush was elected as President of the United States. Rage Against the Machine reunited for Coachella in 2007.
- Pavement. The indie rock band broke up in 1999 after 10 years of creating influential music. Pavement got back together in 2010 for Coachella and broke up again shortly after a brief stint together. Front man Stephen Malkmus said that they “stuck to their guns.”
- Death From Above 1979. The duo broke up in 2006 to pursue other music projects like MSTRKRFT and Femme Fatale. Death From Above 1979 got back together for Coachella in 2011. They’re still together with a new record released in 2014.
- The Stone Roses. The Brit Pop band broke up in 1996, but reunited for Coachella in 2013, after almost 20 years away from the music scene.
- Jane’s Addiction. They broke up in 1991, but came back together for the very first Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival in 1999. Since their come back, Jane’s Addiction have been together on-and-off since 2001.