Although many actors, directors, and screenwriters were nominated for Academy
Friday is heading for its 20th anniversary and is getting a limited re-release in theaters. The inner-city stoner comedy shot Chris Tucker into superstardom, and despite the onslaught of terrible sequels, the original is still a stoner classic.
Here are 8 things about F. Gary Gray’s comedy you may not have known…
1. The clothes Ice Cube is wearing at the beginning are the same clothes he is wearing at the end of Boyz N The Hood.
2. The neighborhood where the film takes place is the same street where the film’s director, F. Gary Gray, grew up in South Central, Los Angeles. Principal houses that were used for filming were houses of old friends of the director. The scene where Deebo punches Red into the air is the house that Gray grew up in.
3. This was the first screen appearance of the late Michael Clarke Duncan, who plays a craps player in the flashback where Deebo punches Red.
4. Cast members were warned not to wear red due to their safety. 126th street where the film was shot, was in a Crip neighborhood which explains why Smokey is wearing blue.
5. In the flashback scene where Smokey is in the car with Hector and his friend, two men can be seen sitting on a block wall in the background. The men were residents of the neighborhood who wanted to be difficult towards the production staff, knowing they couldn’t tell them what to do on their property. They remained in the shot despite offers from the staff which included compensation or a walk-on role in the film.
6. The movie was shot in merely 20 days.
7. Chris Tucker improvised most of his lines in the film.
8. It is revealed in deleted scenes that Craig’s dad is eating grapes at the beginning of the movie and that Smokey is eating a sugar sandwich while they’re high and watching music videos.