You may have been seeing the name Amy Schumer pop
Sometimes sketch comedy groups gain so much popularity that they make a movie together. Here are 8 movies from sketch comedy groups.
- Wet Hot American Summer. In 2001, the New York sketch comedy troupe The State released the comedy Wet Hot American Summer. While the movie didn’t do well in theaters when it was released, it became a cult classic and one of the best comedies of the 2000s.
- Brain Candy. Canadian comedy group Kids in the Hall released Brain Candy in 1996.
- Mystery Team. In 2009, New York-based group Derrick Comedy released Mystery Team at the Sundance Film Festival. While it was a low budget film, Mystery Team quickly became an Internet favorite.
- Hot Rod. In 2007, The Lonely Island wrote, directed, and starred in the comedy Hot Rod.
- Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Legendary sketch comedy troupe Monty Python released the first of three movies with Monty Python and the Holy Grail in 1975. The group also released Life of Brian and The Meaning of Life years later.
- Run Ronnie Run. Based on the character Ronnie Dobbs, played by David Cross, Mr. Show with Bob and David made the comedy Run Ronnie Run. While Mr. Show was an HBO comedy hit, Run Ronnie Run was a direct-to-DVD movie instead of a theatrical one.
- The Adventures of Bob & Doug McKenzie: Strange Brew. The characters gained popularity on SCTV during the early 80s, so it seemed logical that a movie about Bob & Doug McKenzie was released. Strange Brew hit theaters in 1983 and managed to gain a cult following in Canada and the United States.
- Wayne’s World. While there are quite a few movies from Saturday Night Live, such as The Coneheads, The Ladies Man, and Night at the Roxbury, the first and best is the original Wayne’s World released in 1992.