Philosophers are not the most normal bunch of human beings
Paulo Coelho is a world-renowned self-improvement author whose writings speak on the pursuit of happiness and answering your life’s calling. Coelho struggled in the beginning of his life when he was placed in a mental institution by his parents because he wanted to pursue writing instead of choosing another “logical and reasonable” career.
He rebelled and after a career in songwriting, journalism, a stint in law school, and a lifelong journey he became a full-time writer. Coelho has since sold millions of copies of his books worldwide, has devoted fans all over, his novel, The Alchemist is still a bestseller and his work is translated into 80 different languages.
Read these Paulo Coelho quotes below and they just might be the push you need to pursue your dreams and live the life you want to be living:
- “If pain must come, may it come quickly. Because I have a life to live, and I need to live it in the best way possible.”
― Paulo Coelho, By the River Piedra I Sat Down and Wept
Unless you are extremely lucky, pain and suffering in life are inevitable. Bad moments will happen, but you must face them courageously and never allow them to deter you from living your best life.
- “There are moments when troubles enter our lives and we can do nothing to avoid them. But they are there for a reason. Only when we have overcome them will we understand why they were there.”
― Paulo Coelho, The Fifth Mountain
One thing is for certain; experiences change us and mold us into the person we are to become. Certain situations are unavoidable, but you must go through them to grow through them.
3. “Now that she had nothing to lose, she was free.”
― Paulo Coelho, Eleven Minutes
The moment you realize that nothing is permanent, not material possessions, people, or even our own bodies, you find that life gets a lot easier. Nothing is forever, so be free in the moment and be grateful for what you have right now.
- “A child can teach an adult three things: to be happy for no reason, to always be busy with something, and to know how to demand with all his might that which he desires.”
― Paulo Coelho
The beauty of children is that the ugliness of life hasn’t yet reached their hearts, so they see life to a lens that is clean and fresh so they find beauty in everything. Be happy with yourself, stay productive and always, always fight for what you want.
- “Everything tells me that I am about to make a wrong decision, but making mistakes is just part of life. What does the world want of me? Does it want me to take no risks, to go back to where I came from because I didn’t have the courage to say “yes” to life?”
― Paulo Coelho, Eleven Minutes
You can’t let yourself be absorbed by fear and remain in your comfort zone and then complain why you aren’t living your dreams like everyone else. Go out there, take a chance, risk the fall to know how it feels to fly.
- “When we least expect it, life sets us a challenge to test our courage and willingness to change; at such a moment, there is no point in pretending that nothing has happened or in saying that we are not yet ready. The challenge will not wait. Life does not look back. A week is more than enough time for us to decide whether or not to accept our destiny.”
― Paulo Coelho, The Devil and Miss Prym
There will come a time where we must sacrifice who we are for what we can be. We just have to learn to recognize those signs.
The Alchemist Quotes
- “The simple things are also the most extraordinary things, and only the wise can see them.”
- “There is only one thing that makes a dream impossible to achieve: the fear of failure.”
- “Remember that wherever your heart is, there you will find your treasure.”
- “Tell your heart that the fear of suffering is worse than the suffering itself. And that no heart has ever suffered when it goes in search of its dreams, because every second of the search is a second’s encounter with God and with eternity.”
- “And, when you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.”
When you know what you want, you know what you want. It’s all a matter of figuring out what that is, then going on a journey to discover it and make your life your own.