Sometimes Hollywood draws inspiration from movies for new TV shows.
1. Matthew Fox auditioned for Sawyer. It is hard to imagine considering how much Jack is at odds with Sawyer, but Matthew Fox might have been cast as Sawyer. He read for the part and was less keen on the part of Jack since Jack would be killed in the first episode.
2. Dominic Monaghan auditioned for Sawyer. Before he was cast as Charlie, Dominic Monaghan read for the part of Sawyer. It is quite a different role from the good-hearted but troubled musician he ended up playing.
3. Jorge Garcia auditioned for Sawyer. Everybody wanted to be Sawyer, and who can blame them?
4. Yunjin Kim auditioned for Kate. The part of Kate went to Evangeline Lilly, but during the casting process, Yunjin Kim read for the part of Kate before being cast as Sun.
5. Michael Emerson auditioned for Hurley. Michael Emerson is beloved as one of Lost’s most complicated characters, but he might have played the part of Hurley, the survivor’s resident optimist and everybody’s best friend.
Bonus #1: Jorge Garcia was the first actor cast in the show. Is anyone surprised?
Bonus #2: Michael Keaton was almost Jack. Jack was not meant to be the main character. Actually, he was supposed to die in the first episode, so the show didn’t have a problem with casting a big-name actor in the role. When the writers decided that Jack would not die, Keaton stepped away, and Matthew Fox was eventually cast in the role. Actually, Keaton was never cast in Lost at all which sets him apart from everyone else on the list.