Nowadays, thanks to the efforts of politicians, investigative journalists and
Pizza Hut is the largest and most profitable pizza fast food company in the world. Here are 15 fun facts you may not have known about America’s favorite pizza, Pizza Hut.
1. Two Brothers. Dan and Frank Carney started Pizza Hut in Wichita, Kansas in 1958. They started out with building their first store by borrowing $600 from their mother.
2. $1.50. The original menu featured a large pizza for only $1.50. A small pizza only cost 95 cents.
3. 360 Million Gallons. Pizza Hut uses 360 million gallons of milk a year to make 300 million pounds of cheese every year to make pizzas. That comes from 170,000 dairy cows, if you were wondering.
4. Outer Space. In 2001, Pizza Hut delivered a pizza to the International Space Station. It launched on a Soyuz and astronaut Yuri Usachov ordered it while in orbit. It cost $1 million to make and deliver.
5. Shape. Pizza Hut’s name came from one of the founder’s wives who thought the shape of the first store looked like a hut.
6. Marmite-Stuffed Crust. You can order a Stuffed-Crust pizza filled with Marmite at Pizza Hut in New Zealand. Marmite is made from yeast extract and is similar to Australia’s Vegemite.
7. White House. In 1989, Pizza Hut delivered pizzas to the White House. First Lady Barbara Bush threw a pizza party.
8. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. In 1990, Pizza Hut launched a $20 million marketing campaign for the original TMNT movie that featured rebate coupons and numerous commercials. While Pizza Hut promoted the movie, the pizza featured in the movie itself belonged to their rival Domino’s Pizza.
9. Order Online. They were the first pizza company to offer online ordering in 2003.
10. Eau de Pizza Hut. In 2012, Pizza Hut Canada released 110 bottles of Eau de Pizza Hut, the fast food company’s signature perfume, to celebrate reaching 100,000 Facebook fans.
11. Hostage Situation. In 2015, a woman was held captive by her abusive boyfriend for XXX. The only way she found safety and alerted authorities when she cleverly ordered a pizza from Pizza Hut.
12. Marriage Proposal Package. Pizza Hut also offers a marriage proposal package. For only $10,010, you get a limousine, a ruby engagement ring, flowers, a fireworks display, a professional photographer and videographer, and a $10 dinner box, which contains “a medium one-topping rectangular pan pizza, five breadsticks with marinara sauce and 10 cinnamon sticks with a sweet icing cup in one box.”
13. Mikhail Gorbachev, Donald Trump, and Ringo Starr. All three appeared in Pizza Hut commercials (separately) at one time.
14. 1,920 kcal. A medium 12“ cheese pizza from Pizza Hut contains 1,920 calories.
15. Stuffed Crust. Since Pizza Hut introduced the Stuffed Crust Pizza in 1995, the fast food company stuffed cheese, cheeseburgers, hot dogs, cheese pockets, chicken fillets, cheese cones, and cheesy chicken sausages.