On February 3, 1959 Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, and The
Bands are usually made up of friends, but sometimes it’s also made up of family. Here are 15 bands that feature silblings.
- Oasis. Lead singer Liam Gallagher and guitarist Noel Gallagher are brothers. They’re also the songwriters of the Brit pop band Oasis.
- Haim. Este, Danielle, and Alana Haim are all sisters from Los Angeles. They’ve been performing together since they were children, but got their first real gig in 2007. Haim released their debut record “Days Are Gone,” which scored them a Grammy Award nomination for Best New Artist.
- Kings of Leon. Caleb, Nathan, and Jared Followill are brothers, but their cousin Matthew Followill is also in the band. Kings of Leon have been consistently rocking out since the year 2000.
- My Chemical Romance. Mikey and Gerard Way started My Chemical Romance in 2001. They’re brothers.
- Hanson. The trio Isaac, Taylor, and Zac Hanson are brothers. They’ve been performing since 1992. Hanson spawned an empire of wholesome music and family and a successful craft beer called Mmmhops in 2013.
- Bee Gees. Brothers Barry, Robin, and Maurice Gibb started the Bee Gees in 1958. They’ve been one of the most influential bands of all-time.
- AC/DC. Malcolm and Angus Young are brothers started the heavy metal band in 1973. They’re one of the most iconic American bands out there today. AC/DC is still rocking out, despite Malcolm Young’s death in 2014.
- The Beach Boys. The original line-up of The Beach Boys consist of brothers Brian, Dennis, and Carl Wilson and their cousin Mike Love, along with Al Jardine. The Beach Boys have been around since 1961 and they’re one of the most influential American bands out there.
- The Kinks. Dave and Ray Davies are brothers and they started The Kinks in London in 1963.
- Van Halen. While they’ve had three different lead singers since they started in 1974, Van Halen, at its core, will always be Eddie and Alex Van Halen, who are brothers.
- The National. The National has two sets of brothers. Guitarists Aaron and Bryce Dessner are twin brothers, while bassist Scott and drummer Bryan Devendorf are also brothers.
- Radiohead. Lead guitarist Jonny Greenwood and bassist Colin Greenwood are brothers.
- Arcade Fire. Win and Will Butler started Arcade Fire in 2001. Win’s wife Régine is also in the Canadian indie rock band.
- Tegan & Sara. The singer/songwriters Tegan and Sara Quin are twin sisters.
- The Jackson 5. Jackie, Tito, Jermaine, Marlon, and Michael Jackson are, of course, brothers. Another Jackson brother Randy joined the band in 1975. He took Jermaine’s place.