On Netflix, old movies and TV shows expire, while new
Although a beloved TV show goes on for years and years, it doesn’t mean that the original cast will continue on with the show’s success. Here are 13 TV characters who were played by multiple actors.
- Aunt Vivian. Janet Hubert-Whitten didn’t get along with Will Smith and the producers of The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, so Daphne Maxwell Reid replaced her as Aunt Viv for the sitcom’s last three seasons.
- Lionel Jefferson. Mike Evans left The Jeffersons to work on Good Times, which he co-created. Damon Evans (no relation) stepped in to play Lionel Jefferson for two seasons. Mike Evans came back to reprise his role when Good Times was canceled.
- Becky Conner. After five seasons, Sarah Chalke replaced Lecy Goranson on Rosanne. Goranson left the sitcom to attend Vassar College full-time, as she returned for the final season. She left again, so Sarah Chalke stepped in to fill the role.
- Meg Griffin. Originally voiced by Lacey Chabert, the character of Meg Griffin on the animated Family Guy was replaced with Mila Kunis because of a contract dispute.
- Morgan Matthews. Lily Ricksay played Morgan Matthews on Boy Meets World for its first two seasons, but was replaced with Lindsay Ridgeway for its last five. According to producers, Ridgeway had more of a mature face than Ricksay.
- Catwoman. Eartha Kitt replaced Julie Newmar for the third and final season of Batman during the 1960s. Julie Newmar was making a movie at the time, so Eartha Kitt filled the seductive role.
- Darrin Stephens. Dick York started out the sitcom Bewitched in 1964, but was replaced with Dick Sargent until it ended in 1972. Dick York had chronic back problems, so he called it quits after season five.
- Ann Veal. Mitch Hurwitz always intended to have multiple actors play Ann Veal. In season one of Arrested Development Alessandra Torresani, while Mae Whitman played “Her?”
- Jenna Maroney. In 30 Rock’s pilot episode SNL alum Rachel Dratch played Jenna, but when the series was picked up Jane Krakowski took up the role. It seemed that Jane Krakowski was a better fit.
- Lily Tucker-Pritchett. Twins Jaden and Ella Hiller originally played Lily on Modern Family, but when producers wanted the character to actually interact with the family, they replaced the twin babies with kid actor Aubrey Anderson-Emmons.
- Marilyn Munster. Beverley Owen was the original “normal” Munster on The Munsters, but was replaced with Pat Priest for season two, when Owen wanted to go back to New York to start a family.
- Laurie Forman. Lisa Kelly Robin left That 70’s Show after five seasons because she had a serious drug problem. Christina Moore played the character of Laurie Forman for the sitcom’s final season in 2004. Lisa Kelly Robin died from a drug overdose in 2013.
- The Doctor. William Hartnell, Patrick Troughton, Jon Pertwee, Tom Baker, Peter Davison, Richard Hurndall, Colin Baker, Sylvester McCoy, Paul McGann, Christopher Eccleston, David Tennant, Matt Smith, and Peter Capaldi all played the Time Lord during Doctor Who’s 34-season run.