Of all the superheroes out there, and all the decades
“It’s a me, Mario!” Since 1981, Mario is the most iconic character in video games today and the Super Mario Bros. video game franchise is still running as strong as ever. Here are 13 things you might not know about Mario.
- Mario & Popeye. Mario was only created because Nintendo and his creator Shigeru Miyamoto couldn’t make Popeye. Originally, Donkey Kong was supposed to be a Popeye video game, where Popeye saves Olive Oyl from Bluto.
- Red Mushrooms. The red mushrooms in Super Mario Bros were modeled after fly-agaric mushrooms.
- Jumpman. Mario was originally known as Jumpman in Donkey Kong. He got the name from Nintendo USA’s landlord Mario Segale.
- Boshi. Yoshi has a evil counterpart called Boshi. He’s purple with a spiked collar and serves as Yoshi’s Wario to Mario.
- Stage play. Super Mario Bros. 3 is considered to be a stage play because it starts off with a red curtain rising, you can go “back stage” during certain levels, and when you finished a level, it looks like you’re exiting a stage. Super Mario Bros. 2 is also considered to be taking place during a dream.
- 240 million. Nintendo has sold more than 240 million Super Mario Bros. video games since 1983.
- 3-3. World 3-3 in Super Mario Bros. is the only level in the game where you can actually jump over the flagpole at the end. If successful, you’ll merely run an endless brick road until the timer runs out. It’s a glitch in the game.
- Mustache. Mario only has a mustache because creating a mouth and nose were very difficult in 8-bit.
- Tom Hanks. He turned down the role to play Mario in the Super Mario Bros. movie. Tom Hanks decided to do Philadelphia instead. Arnold Schwarzenegger also turned down the role to play King Koppa.
- Luigi. The Japanese word for “Luigi” is “Ruiji,” means similar.
- The Villain. Mario was only a villain in one video game, Donkey Kong, Jr. in 1982. You play as Donkey Kong’s son, who has to save his father from Mario, who holds him captured in a cage.
- Guns. Early designs of Super Mario Bros. included Mario with a gun in a shoot ’em up style video game. He was also going to fly around with a jetpack.
- Carpenter. Originally, Mario was a carpenter before he was eventually made into a plumber.