Pain affects everyone at some point in their lives. Sometimes
Childbirth is a harrowing experience for many people, but some birth stories are so extreme that they’re almost impossible to believe. Here are the craziest, most unbelievable stories of birth that are actually true.
1. Sara Connell wanted a child but found that she couldn’t bear her own child. So her mother offered to be a surrogate. At 61, the grandma served as a surrogate and gave birth to her own grandson.
2. A fear that some people have is not knowing they’re pregnant, and that’s just what happened to one 12-year-old Dutch girl. She was on a field trip when she started complaining about stomach cramps, and when emergency services came they found she was about to give birth. No one had known she was pregnant, but she still managed to deliver a healthy baby.
3. Amber Miller wasn’t afraid of staying fit while pregnant. After clearing it with her doctor, she ran the first half of the Bank of America Chicago Marathon and planned to walk the second half. That’s when her contractions started. So Miller finished the race, had some food, and then went to the hospital and gave birth to her daughter June.
4. In something that sounds like an urban legend, one woman who was nine months pregnant was abducted as she drove home one night. Her attacker shot her and lit her on fire, so she played dead. Amazingly, that saved her life and just a few days later she gave birth.
5. Another amazing “I didn’t know I was pregnant” story comes from Jennifer West, who woke up during her Fourth of July vacation to serious pain. When her husband took her into the ER they found that she was in the midst of giving birth, despite the fact that she was still getting her period. But despite the surprise, she gave birth to her son Robert Hayward West after just a few hours of labor.
6. When Ana Belis Hernandez realized she was going into labor, she hailed a cab to get herself to the hospital. But once the driver realized what was happening, he kicked her out because he didn’t want to get his cab dirty. Hernandez gave birth to her baby alone on a sidewalk, and not a single car that drove by stopped to help.
7. Joanna Kryzsztonek was pregnant with triplets when she began early labor. One baby was born too premature and died, so her doctors told her that in order to keep the other two in utero she had to stay as still as possible for two and a half months, even though she had already started labor. After the long wait, her other two children were born healthy.
8. Aida Alamillo was 41 when she gave birth, but that wasn’t the impressive part. Her doctor gave her the all clear to fly from The Philippines to San Francisco, but five hours from the end of the flight she went into labor. The baby was born in a mere 15 minutes in midair.
9. David and Louise, a couple from Utah, have some pretty record breaking children: three of the five were born on consecutive leap years. That’s a world record.