Sign me up! No more weird contraptions or embarrassing faces
Dogs have been domesticated for over 12,000 years, living and working with humans in myriad ways. They’ve grown into a fascinating species, so check out these amazing dog facts.
1. Dogs do actually dream. They have the same types of sleep (SWS and REM) and so during their REM sleep, they dream like humans do. Dog owners often notice paw twitching, a good sign of dreaming.
2. Dogs can understand up to 250 words and gestures, and some can even count or perform basic math.
3. Stray dogs in Russia have begun to use the subway system to move to more populated areas and find food.
4. Dogs have unique eyes that include a membrane called the tapetum lucidum which allows them to see better in the dark.
5. In ancient China, the emperor would often have a Pekingese up his voluminous sleeves as a final line of defense against assassins.
6. Today a spiked dog collar is a sign of ferocity, but when they were invented in ancient Greece they were there to protect the dog’s throat from wolves.
7. Dogs only sweat through the pads of their feet.
8. One survey found that 45% of people let their dogs sleep in bed with them.
9. Dogs have an amazing sense of smell, between 10,000 and 100,000 times better than that of humans.
10. While humans can only hear sounds up to 2,000 Hz, dogs hear up to 8,000.