34 years ago yesterday, John Lennon was shot to death
While he’s only 41 years old, Pharrell Williams is a very accomplished writer, performer, producer, and singer. Currently, he has seven Grammy Awards and was nominated for an Academy Award for his song “Happy” for the animated film Despicable Me 2. Simply put, Pharrell is pretty great! Here are 12 songs you didn’t know were written by Pharrell.
- “I’m a Slave 4 U” by Britney Spears. In 2001, Britney Spears wanted to get away from her girl-next-door persona, so she decided to take her music in a more “urban” direction. “I’m a Slave 4 U” was written by The Neptunes, AKA Pharrell Williams and Chad Hugo.
- “Hollaback Girl” by Gwen Stefani. In 2004, Gwen Stefani embarked on a solo career away from No Doubt, so she turned to Pharrell and Chad Hugo for a fresh new sound. “Hollaback Girl” was the #1 hit song in 2005.
- “Señorita” by Justin Timberlake. When Justin Timberlake went solo from N’SYNC, he also turned to The Neptunes for a more edgy sound. Pharrell co-wrote many of the songs from Timberlake’s solo debut “Justified,” along with Chad Hugo. Pharrell also co-wrote “Rock Your Body” from “Justified.”
- “Get Lucky” by Daft Punk. Pharrell co-wrote one of the biggest hit songs from 2013, along with Daft Punk and Chic’s Nile Rodgers.
- “Milkshake” by Kelis. Believe it or not, The Neptunes wrote Kelis’ biggest hit to date “Milkshake.” It peaked at the #3 spot on the Billboard Hot 100 in 2003.
- “I Just Wanna Love U” by Jay-Z. Jay-Z co-wrote this song with Pharrell, Chad Hugo, and Sean Combs. It was a big hit for Jay-Z in the year 2000.
- “American Prayer” by U2. Believe it or not, Pharrell co-wrote this song with Bono and the Edge for U2 in 2002. Dave Stewart of the Eurythmics also co-wrote the song.
- “Hot In Herre” by Nelly. One of the biggest hit songs of 2002 was written by Pharrell and Chad Hugo of The Neptunes. It was a #1 hit song on the Billboard Hot 100.
- “Blurred Lines” – Robin Thicke. Pharrell had a very good 2013. Not only did he co-write “Get Lucky” for Daft Punk, but he also co-wrote “Blurred Lines” for Robin Thicke, along with T.I. It was a #1 song on the Billboard Hot 100 in 2013.
- “Hella Good” by No Doubt. Before Gwen Stefani went solo in 2004, the last record she did with No Doubt was produced by The Neptunes. Pharrell and Chad Hugo co-wrote “Hella Good” with Tony Kanal and Gwen Stefani from No Doubt.
- “Drop It Like It’s Hot” by Snoop Dogg. Snoop Dogg co-wrote “Drop It Like It’s Hot” with Pharrell and Chad Hugo, as it peaked at #5 on the Billboard Hot 100 in 2004.
- “Rump Shaker” by Wreckx N Effect. Pharrell wrote a lot of booty shaking songs throughout his career, but I think one of his most popular was from Wreckx-N-Effect “Rump Shaker” in 1992.
And now, check out 11 Songs You Didn’t Know Were Written by Prince.