In 1964, American author and biochemist, Isaac Asimov published an
Most artists are known for their fine art, such as paintings, drawings, and performances. Leonardo da Vinci was not only a talented artist, but a brilliant inventor and engineer. He was well ahead of his time, but he possessed some interesting traits and habits. Here are 12 quirky facts about Leonardo da Vinci.
1. The translation of Leonardo da Vinci is Leonard from the town of Vinci.
2. He was left-handed.
3. It took da Vinci about ten years to paint Mona Lisa’s lips.
4. Leonardo among the first Italians to use oil paint.
5. There is a hypothesis that the Mona Lisa could be a self-portrait of Leonardo as a woman.
6. Leonardo was often seen wearing pink, as this made his complexion look fresh.
7. He was a lifetime bachelor and never had any children.
8. Da Vinci was a grave robber. He dug up graves at night to steal corpses, using them to study human anatomy and attempt to find out where the soul was kept in the body.
9. Leonardo had a mean streak when it came to his art: He often left paintings unfinished and destroyed most of his work.
10. Leonardo suffered from dyslexia and wrote his notes were written in reverse. This also made it hard for others to read his notes and steal his ideas for inventions.
11. Da Vinci was an animal lover and vegetarian who despised war. Yet, he was a military engineer and invented or improved deadly weapons.
12. Leonard was an illegitimate child. His parents were Messer Piero Fruosino di Antonio da Vinci, a Florentine notary, and Caterina, a peasant.