Ron Perlman turns 65 years old this week. Everyone recognizes
Photo Credit: ScreenRant.com
Tom Cruise has appeared in a number of movies over the years and there’s no doubt that he’s a movie star. However, there are quite a few movies that he could’ve been in, but for one reason or another, it just didn’t happen. Here are 12 movies that almost starred Tom Cruise. Show me the list!
- Iron Man. At one point, Tom Cruise was considered for the role of Tony Stark/Iron Man until Robert Downey, Jr. came in and made the role famous. Cruise was up for the role as recent as 2004, but he decided to drop out when the project wasn’t moving forward. According to Tom Cruise via Screen Rant, “I don’t know. It just … they came to me at a certain point and … when I do something, I wanna do it right. If I commit to something, it has to be done in a way that I know it’s gonna be something special. And as it was lining up, it just didn’t feel to me like it was gonna work.”
- Speed. Fox wanted Tom Cruise (or Johnny Depp) in the lead role of Speed before Keanu Reeves got the gig.
- Footloose. After the success of Risky Business, Paramount wanted Tom Cruise for Footloose. Unfortunately, he was signed on to be in All The Right Moves and Kevin Bacon stepped into the role instead.
- Wall Street. Tom Cruise was interested in the lead role in Wall Street, but Oliver Stone didn’t think he was right for the role. Stone went with Charlie Sheen instead.
- I Am Legend. Tom Cruise was attached to I Am Legend during the 90s when other notable Hollywood figures were also positioned to make the film, such as Michael Bay, Tony Scott, and Arnold Schwarzenegger. Will Smith ended up with the role instead.
- Edward Scissorhands. Tom Cruise was in consideration for the lead role of Edward Scissorhand, but the role went to Johnny Depp instead.
- Enemy of the State. Tony Scott actually wanted Tom Cruise for Enemy of the State, but he was committed to Stanley Kubrick and Eyes Wide Shut. Scott got Will Smith instead.
- A Beautiful Mind. Robert Redford was attached to direct A Beautiful Mind before Ron Howard took the job. Redford wanted Tom Cruise to play the lead, but he dropped out and decided to do Vanilla Sky instead.
- Indecent Proposal. He was also in consideration to play David in Indecent Proposal, but he eventually turned it down and the role went to Woody Harrelson.
- The Talented Mr. Ripley. Director Anthony Minghella wanted Tom Cruise’s talents to play the lead role in the movie. However, Minghella watched Good Will Hunting and thought Matt Damon would be a better fit.
- Donnie Brasco. During the early 90s, Tom Cruise was actually signed on with Paramount Picture to star in Donnie Brasco, but the movie studio shelved the project because they didn’t want to do another mob movie soon after the success of Goodfellas. Cruise dropped out and Johnny Depp took the role.
- John Carter of Mars. Tom Cruise was at one time attached to the science fiction movie when John McTiernan was developing the project, but it fell through and the project went to Pixar with Andrew Stanton in the director’s chair. Taylor Kitsch got the lead role instead.
- The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. Before David Fincher and Brad Pitt made the movie, Steven Spielberg was attached to the project during the early 90s. Spielberg wanted Tom Cruise to play the titular character, before both dropped out of the project. Steven Spielberg went and did Schindler’s List and Jurassic Park, while Tom Cruise went on to make The Firm.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAYtpZgelAM