While one director gets all the credit, another is silently
Holiday movies are an essential part of everyone Christmas season but how much do you really know about your Yuletide favorites? Here are some fun and little-known facts about your favorite classic Christmas movies.
- Peter Billingsley the actor that played Ralphie in the famous A Christmas Story movie appeared as Ming Ming the elf.
- In the movie Will Ferrell has to consume so much sugar in his portrayal of Buddy, that he got frequent migraines.
- Macaulay Culkin still has a souvenir from his portrayal of Kevin. In the scene where Joe Pesci bites his finger he bit him harder than intended and Mac still has a scar.
- John Candy’s story about losing his son in a funeral home was completely improvised and his character in the movie was modeled after his character from Plane, Trains and Automobiles.
- Robert DeNiro turn down the part of Harry.
Miracle on 34th Street
- Not many people know that the scenes of depicting the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade were taken at the actual 1946 Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade.
- Edmund Gwenn the actor that played Santa Claus in the movie also was the 1946 Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Santa Claus.
- It’s a family affair! All of Bill Murray’s brothers (Brian Doyle John and Joel) appear in the film with him.
- Don’t mess with the ghost of Christmas present. In the scene where Carol Kane grabs Bill Murray lip, she actually tore it pretty severely, and filming was put on hold for several days while Murray heal.
It’s a Wonderful Life
- Did you ever notice, that George is sweaty on the bridge with Clarence? Well there’s a very good reason for that. It was 90 degrees on the day that they shot that scene. Most viewers assumed that George was sweaty because he was breaking under the stress.
National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation
- A small earthquake occurred during the shooting of the scene where Uncle Louis and Aunt Bethany first arrived, and it said that you can see the camera shaking during the scene.
- National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation was directed by Frank Capra the third who is the grandson of Frank Capra the director of It’s a Wonderful Life. The part where Clark “fixes” the newel post by sawing it off with a chainsaw is an homage to his grandfather the newel post at the Bailey’s house was also broken. Also, Rusty’s watching it’s a wonderful life when the relatives arrive.