It’s Christmastime, and that means it is time to sit
Whoever knew Booker, Roseanne’s beaten-down factory boss, would become the most celebrated movie star of the modern era? George Clooney has taken over the dapper resonance of Cary Grant, able to float from big-budget blockbusters to small independent films with ease. The multiple-Oscar nominee, celebrated director, and charming leading man has had an interesting rise to stardom. Here are a dozen facts about Clooney, and a life he strives to keep as private as he can…
1. In his youth, Clooney tried out for a position in the Cincinnati Reds organization.
2. For 18 years, Clooney had one pet: a black potbellied pig named Max, who passed away of old age in 2006.
3. He allegedly got into a fist fight with Three Kings director David O. Russell, who is a notoriously difficult director. Russell had yelled and derided a few extras out of frustration and Clooney didn’t appreciate it. Russell has since said, “I wouldn’t make another George Clooney movie if they paid me $20 million.”
4. Clooney and noted character actor Miguel Ferrer (Traffic) are cousins.
5. He got a hold of Trey Parker, the creator of South Park, and asked for a part in an episode because he is big fan. He was given the role of “Sparky,” the gay dog, which involved little more than panting and yelping. However, when it was time for South Park to go to the big screen, Clooney got a full speaking part as an ER surgeon.
6. He auditioned five times for Ridley Scott for the role of J.D. in Thelma & Louise, a role that ultimately went to future friend Brad Pitt and catapulted Pitt to super-stardom.
7. Clooney, a man after my own heart, loves beer. He does voiceovers for Budweiser TV commercials and allegedly had a beer keg installed in his dressing room during filming of Ocean’s Eleven.
8. Times weren’t always great for Clooney. While he was working as a struggling actor in the early 80s, he lived in a friend’s closet. His CLOSET.
9. Another role he auditioned for but did not get was Vic Vega, A.K.A. Mr. Blonde in Quentin Tarantino’s Reservoir Dogs. The role ultimately went to Michael Madsen.
10. He is a noted humanitarian. In December 2006, he traveled to China and Egypt to make a personal plea to Chinese and Egyptian officials to use their ties with the Sudanese government to help stop the violence in the Darfur region.
11. One of Clooney’s oldest friends is Sandra Bullock. The two have been close for over 25 years.
12. His marriage shocked the world. He said he would never get married again and not have any children. However, Michelle Pfeiffer and Nicole Kidman both bet $10,000 each that he would be a father before he turned 40. They were both wrong, and each sent him a check. He returned the money, betting double or nothing that he won’t have kids by age 50. Perhaps he can triple down for 60.