When amusement parks are open and thriving, they are amazing locales
Like them or not, The Dave Matthews Band remain one of the most popular touring shows in the world year in and year out. Matthews and his band mates have gone through changes throughout the years, but remain entertaining on the stage. Here are 11 things about Matthews and facts about his band you may not have known…
1. Dave Matthews was working in a jazz club bar tending whilst at the time whilst also writing his music. He had compiled a band of his peers and also scored a gig at the club in which he worked. As it was a particularly busy club in which he worked, all the bands who played there had to write their names on a quasi time-sheet type affair as the bands played in allocated time slots. The first night Dave actually played at the club the manager/band organiser asked what their band was called. A few ‘umms’ and ‘ahhhs’ later and the manager simply put down ‘Dave Matthews and a Band’ on the time sheet.
2. The band has a few songs that are simply numbers (#27, #34, #41). This came from Matthews, who would get confused about which songs he wanted to title what, so he went with the numbers he wrote next to the songs. It was the order in which he wrote the songs.
3. They added one more day to their 2005 concert at Red Rocks Amphitheatre in Colorado to raise fund for the victims of Hurricane Katrina.
4. Their RCA debut album, Under the Table and Dreaming (1994), was dedicated to Matthews’ older sister, Anne, who had been killed by her own husband in South Africa.
5. They did a rare music video in 2005 for their song Dreamgirl, which starred Julia Roberts who is a big fan of the band.
6. Their 2005 album Stand Up was made while the band was in the middle of feuding and internal strife. They eventually made their way through the problems, but they rarely play songs from this album on tour.
7. Someone suggested that Matthews try to depict what he saw when he gazed out at the crowd during live shows and the Fire Dancer was how he envisioned audience members letting loose and enjoying themselves. The Fire Dancer is now their logo.
8. There is a “Dave Matthews Band Day” super fans recognize every year on September 27. This commemorates the debut of Under The Table and Dreaming.
9. Aside from the music, Matthews is also an accomplished painter and has his own line of wines. He has also appeared in a handful of movies, including Because of Winn Dixie and a few Adam Sandler films.
10. Devoted to the community, Dave Matthews Band created its own official charity, The Bama Works Fund. Initially founded to provide much-needed support in their native Charlottesville, Va., the charity has now donated over $15 million to local, national, and international organizations featured below. Individually, Dave Matthews participates on the Farm Aid Board of Directors, and Boyd Tinsley funded most of the University of Virginia’s state-of-the-art indoor tennis facility.
11. In 1999, Dave broke ribs trying to perform a grape-catching trick by tripping over a guitar and hitting the arm of a chair.