Depending on your family, Thanksgiving can mean anything from happy
Long before he donned the cape and cowl in Christopher Nolan’s Batman trilogy, Christian Bale was in front of the camera devoting himself fully to acting. Known for his intense methodology, and one specific blow up on set, Bale is intensely dedicated to his craft. Here are 11 things about the actor you may not have known…
1. Aside from his acting, Bale is active in many many charities and organizations: Ark Trust, Greenpeace, the World Wildlife Foundation, the Dian Fossey Gorilla Fund, the Redwings Sanctuary, and the Happy Child Mission, and a school for street kids in Rio De Janeiro.
2. Bale famously dropped a staggering 63 pounds to play an insomniac in the thriller The Machinist in 2004 by eating only salad and apples, chewing gum, and smoking. He then had to gain all that weight back and then some the next year for Batman Begins, which was hard on his heart.
4. If he plays an American character, he will use an American accent in all the interviews related to the film. He says he does this so the audience is not confused.
5. Director Mary Harron handpicked Christian Bale for American Psycho in 2000. He subsequently lost the part to Leonardo DiCaprio, but DiCaprio had to back out due to scheduling, and Bale took over the part again.
6. Bale was arrested over verbal assault allegations made by his mother and his sister just hours after he attended the European premiere of his movie The Dark Knight in London. Upon reviewing the case, the London police decided not to charge him with anything.
7. He Met Drew Barrymore on the set of Empire of the Sun in 1987, who was visiting her godfather, director Steven Spielberg. He was thirteen and she was twelve. They would both admit later to having a crush on each other at the time.
8. He is still an avid motorcyclist he but gave up track racing after getting into multiple accidents and receiving a steel plate for his broken wrist, a titanium clavicle and 25 screws for his hand. At one point, he also lost the top of his finger but it was later reattached.
9. His father was a self-proclaimed “activist and adventurer” and his mother a circus dancer so he never lived in one place for very long while growing up.
10. Bale is a big video game fan and has often said he loves Super Mario Bros.
11. Bale and Leonardo DiCaprio’s paths crossed three years before American Psycho. Bale auditioned for the role of Jack Dawson in Titanic and almost got the role, but people felt that it wouldn’t be “fair” having two Brits playing two Americans.