Usually when people think of soundtracks, it is Hans Zimmer,
While Prince (AKA Prince Rogers Nelson, AKA The artist formerly known as Prince) is one of the most talented and dynamic recording artists and performers in music today, he also makes a good living as a songwriter. In fact, he writes so many songs that he sometime gives other recording artists some of his own work. Here are 11 songs you didn’t know were written by Prince.
- “Nothing Compares 2 U“ by Sinead O’Connor. While Prince keeps churning out hit song after hit song, Sinead O’Connor only had one with “Nothing Compares 2 U” in 1990.
- “Manic Monday“ by The Bangles. The rock band broke out in 1986 with this song written by Prince (under the pseudonym Christopher). “Manic Monday” was the first single of their second record “Different Light.”
- “When You Were Mine“ by Cyndi Lauper. This song was a b-side to Cyndi Lauper’s “Controversy” in 1981.
- “How Come You Don’t Call Me Anymore“ by Alicia Keys. It was a b-side on Prince’s song “1999” in 1982. Alicia Keys covered the song in 2001.
- “Jungle Love“ by The Time. While The Time was Prince’s rival band in the movie Purple Rain, Prince and Morris Day were actually good friends in real life. Prince co-wrote the song “Jungle Love” with Day for Purple Rain, while it was also used in Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back.
- “Stand Back“ by Stevie Nicks. Prince co-wrote “Stand Back” with Stevie Nicks, which sounds very similar to “Little Red Corvette,” when she went solo in 1983.
- “I Feel For You“ by Chaka Khan. Prince actually wrote “I Feel For You” in 1979, but Chaka Khan covered it and it became a monster hit in 1984, which was also the same year as Purple Rain and the next song on this list.
- “The Glamourous Life” by Sheila E. Prince originally wrote the song for Apollonia 6, but it just feels better for Sheila E, don’t you think? Prince gave her the song in 1984.
- “Round and Round“ by Tevin Campbell. The song appears on the soundtrack for Graffiti Bridge, which Prince also wrote, directed, and starred. “Round and Round” was Tevin Campbell’s first ever single.
- “Pray“ by M.C. Hammer. “Pray” was M.C. Hammer’s second single after “Can’t Touch This.” While the song is very much an original, it heavily samples Prince’s “When Dove’s Cry.”
- “Love Song“ by Madonna. She co-wrote “Love Song” with Prince for the record “Like a Prayer” in 1989. He also sang backup vocals and guitars on the song.