It’s 2015 and we’re in the future now! It’s hard
The Sundance Film Festival 2015 is now in full swing. While many independent film broke out of the prestigious film festival over the years, here are 11 movies that premiered in Park City, Utah 20 years ago.
- Before Sunrise. Richard Linklater, Ethan Hawke, and Julie Delpy started the Before film trilogy in 1995 with Before Sunrise. It launched one of the best film trilogies and movie romances in recent cinematic history.
- The Usual Suspects. Bryan Singer’s directorial debut kickstarted his career, while earning Kevin Spacey an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor. Although I’m not a big fan of the film, it certainly became a cult classic over the years.
- The Brothers McMullen. Edward Burns directorial debut is a small film about an Irish American family in New York. Burns went on to star in She’s The One and Saving Private Ryan.
- Safe. Safe is one of the strangest movies, as it’s also Todd Haynes directorial debut.
- Living in Oblivion. Steve Buscemi stars as a film director trying to make a movie, while Living in Oblivion wasn’t a breakout hit for its director Tom DiCillo, it did help rise the star of Buscemi.
- Muriel’s Wedding. Toni Collette was the breakout star of the Australian film.
- Shallow Grave. Danny Boyle’s directorial debut, not only kicked off his career in movies, but also Ewan McGregor’s, who also starred in the film. Boyle and Ewan McGregor would team up again for Trainspotting the following year.
- Nightwatch (Nattevagten). It’s a Danish thriller that was remade a few years later for American audiences. Director Ole Bornedal made both versions of Nightwatch.
- Before the Rain. Macedonian film from director Milcho Manchevski, Before the Rain was nominated for a Best Foreign Language Academy Award, while it also won the Golden Lion award at the 51st Venice International Film Festival .
- The Basketball Diaries. Starring Leonardo DiCaprio and Mark Wahlberg, The Basketball Diaries raised the star of both actors in Hollywood.
- Party Girl. Parker Posey starred in Party Girl, which became a big surprise hit in 1995. The movie also spun-off a very short-lived TV series starring Christine Taylor and Swoosie Kurtz. Fun fact, Party Girl was also the first full-length movie to premiere on the Internet on June 3, 1995.
Check out the complete list of movies of the 1995 Sundance Film Festival.