Michael Mann is, arguably, one of the best American crime
We all love with our favorite movie comes out with a sequel, but sometimes it takes entirely too long for a sequel to come out and audiences have forgotten why a sequel was made in the first place. Most of the movies on this list vary in quality from merely okay to absolutely terrible, either way, it took way too long from movie studios to make.
- The Godfather Part II and The Godfather Part III. While The Godfather Part II was a Best Picture winner, its sequel The Godfather Part III fell very short of greatness. It too Francis Ford Coppola 16 years to make a sequel, as it followed the last chapter of the Corleone Saga.
- Psycho and Psycho II. Although Alfred Hitchcock died in 1980, Anthony Perkins reprised his role as Norman Bates in Psycho II 23 years later. The sequel followed Bates released from a mental institution and returning to work at the Bates Motel.
- Wall Street and Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps. Michael Douglas returned as Gordon Gekko 22 years older and now released from prison. Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps didn’t hit as hard as its predecessor.
- Dumber & Dumber and Dumb and Dumber To. Jim Carrey and Jeff Daniels comes back to the franchise in Dumb & Dumber To. The new sequel was released 20 years after the original and didn’t resonate with modern audiences.
- The Last Picture Show and Texasville. While the film was made 18 years after The Last Picture Show, Texasville takes place 33 years after the events of the original film. A majority of the principle cast returned for the sequel, but didn’t find that same kind of success as the classic film.
- Tron and Tron: Legacy. Over the past 28 years between releases, the Tron film built a mighty franchise. Disney released Tron: Legacy with Jeff Bridges returning to play Flynn.
- The Hustler and The Color of Money. With Martin Scorsese in the director’s seat for the sequel, The Color of Money was released 25 years after The Hustler. Paul Newman came back to reprise his role as Eddie Felson. Tom Cruise was also cast as a new upstart Vincent Lauria.
- Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade and Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. After The Last Crusade was released in 1989, Steven Spielberg, George Lucas, and Harrison Ford all come back for Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, 19 years in 2008.
- The Blues Brothers and Blues Brother 2000. Without John Belushi, Dan Aykroyd returned with John Goodman for Blues Brother 2000 in 1998, 18 years after the original was released in 1980. The end result was not good.
- 2001: A Space Odyssey and 2010: The Year We Make Contact. While Stanley Kubrick has nothing to do with the sequel, 2010: The Year We Make Contact was based on the sequel novel from Arthur C. Clarke. The sequel was released in 1984, 16 years the Kubrick classic
- The Odd Couple and The Odd Couple II. Jack Lemmon, Walter Matthau, and Neil Simon return for The Odd Couple II. The sequel was released in 1998, 30 years after the original in 1968. The outing was a critical and commercial flop.
Star Wars: The Force Awakens will be released on December 18, 2015, 10 years after Revenge of the Sith in 2005 and 32 years after Return of the Jedi in 1983.
Jurassic World will be released on June 12, 2015, 13 years after the Jurassic Park III in 2001.