Sometimes great professional athletes don’t know when to hang it
In the fighting world, Mike Tyson is legendary. One of the most well-known boxers ever, Tyson is not only famous for his prowess in the ring, but also for his odd behaviors in everyday life. Check out these 11 facts about Iron Mike that are weirder than you can imagine.
1. He once abstained from sex for five years at the beginning of his career, believing that sex before a fight would make him weaker.
2. During his match with Trevor Berbick in 1986 Tyson had gonorrhea.
3. In 1990, he made more money than Michael Jordan, making him the highest paid athlete in the world.
4. In one of the worst incidents in his life, Tyson used morphine, cocaine, and alcohol and assault seven women. He credits the incident as the reason he got sober.
5. When Teddy Atlas was Tyson’s trainer, he heard that Tyson had groped his 11-year-old niece and put a gun to the boxer’s head.
6. During his time in prison, Tyson converted to Islam and took the name Malik Abdul Aziz.
7. After biting off Evander Holyfield’s ear, Tyson was banned for life from boxing. Unfortunately, the ban only lasted a year and a half.
8. Before he ran through much of his money, Tyson owned three Bengal tigers.
9. Tyson says the reason he started fighting was because a bully injured one of the pigeons in his neighborhood when he was a child. He loved the birds and hated the bully for hurting something innocent.
10. In one interview he said he was disappointed that he had never killed anyone during a bout.
11. Tyson was the youngest heavyweight world champion, earning the title at age 20.