Welcome to part 3 of this continuing deluge of great
Unfortunately, most child stars burn out and never make the transition to grown up actors. But sometimes, a few child stars do become successful actors later in life and we totally forget that they were once child stars. Here are 11 examples
- Elijah Wood. He made a name for himself in movies like The Good Son and North, while he made the transition into adulthood as Frodo Baggins in the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Elijah Wood can also be seen on the hit-TV show Wilfred and not many people think of him as a child star anymore.
- Scarlett Johansson. She appeared in movies like Home Alone 3, The Horse Whisperer, and Ghost World, before she started to mature in movies like Lost in Translation, Match Point, and The Avengers: Age of Ultron.
- Anna Paquin. She won an Academy Award for Best Supporting Female Actor for her performance in the movie The Piano when she was 11 years old. When Anna Paquin hit her teenage years, she started to appear in teen movies, before making the leap to a starring role on HBO’s True Blood.
- Kurt Russell. He started out as a kid actor for Disney appearing in movies such as The One and Only, Genuine, Original Family Band and The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes. When Kurt Russell became an adult, he started to work with genre directors like John Carpenter in movies like The Thing, Escape From New York, and Big Trouble in Little China.
- Joseph Gordon-Levitt. He starred in Angels in the Outfield and the TV show 3rd Rock From the Sun. When JGL became an adult, he starred to appear in indie movies until hitting the main stream in movies like Inception and (500) Days of Summer.
- Jodie Foster. She starred in Disney’s Freaky Friday and later on Taxi Driver as a teenage prostitute before she starred as an adult in Silence of the Lambs, more than 10 years later. Jodie Foster eventually made the shift into directing with movies like Little Man Tate and The Beaver.
- Ryan Gosling. He was in the Mickey Mouse Club in the late 80s, while he also appeared in the Canadian high school TV show Breaker High in the mid-90s. Now Ryan Gosling is known for his gritty performances in Drive and Only God Forgives.
- Jason Bateman. Before he was known as Michael Bluth from Arrested Development, Jason Bateman was a child star appearing on TV shows like Silver Spoons during the early 80s.
- Christian Bale. Not many people remember that Christian Bale was a child star appearing in movies like Empire of the Sun and Newies. It wasn’t until he hit his 20s did he start to take more daring roles in movies like American Psycho, The Dark Knight, and The Fighter.
- Natalie Portman. She made her on-screen debut in the movie Leon: The Professional when she was 12 years old. Afterwards, she took leading roles in the Star Wars prequel, until she won an Academy Award for starring in Black Swan in 2010.
- Drew Barrymore. She appeared in E.T. – The Extra-Terrestrial when she was 6-years-old. While she had a very troubled early life, Drew Barrymore took on more adult roles and branched into romantic comedies. We now don’t even think of her as a child star, unless we’re watching E.T.