In 1972, The Godfather stormed box offices with such vengeance
One of the classic chick flicks, 10 Things I Hate About You, was the first time the female population (and some of the male population) fell in love with Heath Ledger. The movie was based on Shakespeare’s Taming of the Shrew and contains tons of references to the Bard. There’s more to the movie than Shakespeare though: check out these 10 trivia facts for the inside scoop.
1. Most people who saw the movie were impressed with the high style school. It was actually Stadium High School which started life as a railroad station before being converted into a school.
2. The character Kat spends the movie fighting with her dad about going to Sarah Lawrence College. In reality, Larisa Oleynik, who plays Kat’s younger sister, went to Sarah Lawrence.
3. Cameron’s full name is Cameron James, a play on James Cameron.
4. The scene in which Kat reads her 10 Things poem only took a single take, and the tears were unplanned.
5. There are many references to the original play in the movie: the girl’s names are the same, Patrick’s last name (Verona) is where his character in the play was born, and the Stratford name references Shakespeare’s birthplace. Even the name sounds like the original Taming of the Shrew.
6. In one scene, Kat is in detention and there’s a list of names on a sign-in sheet. One of them is production manager Ross Fanger.
7. Originally, the movie was much darker and Kat’s best friend referenced making suicide attempts.
8. During the scene in which Heath Ledger sings to Julia Stiles, the marching band that plays with him is the actual Stadium High School band.
9. Both Josh Hartnett and Ashton Kutcher vied for the role of Patrick, eventually given to Heath Ledger.
10. Julia Stiles originally wanted the role of Bianca Stratford, which went to Larisa Oleynik.